Understanding Network Security
Businesses are often so concerned with their day-to-day operations that they forget to invest heavily in network security. Others understand the need for comprehensive network security, but have a lenient strategy in regards to their IT, which can be just as detrimental in the event of a data leak. Understanding what network security entails, as well as the best practices that you can adhere to that will ensure your company’s network is secure from the numerous outside threats looking to infiltrate your network, is essential to keeping your data, and ultimately your business, safe.
What is Network Security?
Often the best way to get a feel for a concept is to educate yourself on the topic’s major points and some results other users have experienced.
All this will help you better understand the topic. This can be said for network security. On the surface it might appear to be simply keeping your data safe, but there’s far more to it than that. When you set in motion a plan to secure your company’s network, you should first take into account the protection you need from high-level and low-level threats alike. It likely consists of some sort of regular maintenance which includes the patching of software systems to seal vulnerabilities, integration of security hardware and software on your network, as well as the regular monitoring of your network traffic to help determine the presence of any abnormalities. These steps produce a comprehensive network security program that will keep unwanted intruders off of your company’s network.
What Can Network Security Protect Your Business From?
Bugs, viruses, and vulnerabilities have all existed since the dawn of computing, but the threats found in today’s technology world vastly outnumber and outperform them.
In part, this is due to how society has grown heavily reliant on the Internet. Here are some of the threats which proper network security can protect your business from:
- Spyware and adware: while not particularly threatening, they can invade your privacy and pave the way for more dangerous infections. Spyware can log your keystrokes, while adware is simply an annoying means to gain profit.
- Phishing and Identity Theft: Hackers will often try to pose as a reputable institution which your business has relations with in an attempt to steal information from you, such as credit card numbers, banking credentials, or passwords. They’ll do this by appearing legitimate through an email or an elaborate, fake website designed to look like the real deal.
- Viruses, Malware, and Exploitation of Vulnerabilities: The goal of a hacker is to infiltrate your databases and make off with valuable information, or to leave a Trojan backdoor behind for later access at their leisure. Hackers often infect systems with viruses or malware which can either cause damage or allow for remote code execution. These measures take advantage of vulnerabilities found within the code of a piece of software or an operating system, and they can be difficult to remove once they’ve been implanted.
Network Security from ISC
At ISC, we aim to take preventative measures that keep threats from entering your system in the first place.
This lets you avoid costly maintenance or downtime which might follow a hacking attack. A comprehensive network security solution, like our Unified Threat Management device, keeps threats of all kinds from entering your network and neutralizing those which do. Included in our UTM solution is:
- Firewalls: Firewalls are your first lines of defense against outside threats. A firewall analyzes the traffic and data going to and from your network. Think of it like a virtual bouncer which keeps dangerous entities from entering your network.
- Antivirus Software: If a virus or piece of malware does manage to get through your firewall, it can be neutralized with an enterprise-level antivirus software. An antivirus eliminates threats as quickly as possible while limiting damage done.
- Spam Blocking: Not only is spam annoying and useless, some phishing emails might slip through your defenses. Instead of going directly to your inbox where you might fall for their tricks, it goes to the spam folder, where it can be promptly ignored and deleted.
- Content Filtering: Not all web content is safe for viewing, so it’s important that your team can tell the fake sites from the real ones. Content filtering allows you to block certain websites from access, so it’s also good for increasing productivity in the office by limiting employee access to time-wasting websites like Facebook, BuzzFeed, and others.
With ISC’s managed IT services, we can handle this technical information for you while you reap all of the benefits of a protected network. Our services are an inexpensive, monthly investment, contrary to the average break-fix technology company.
A healthy network is a strong network, and ISC can take care of that, too. With our remote maintenance tool, we can apply the latest patches and vulnerabilities as they are released. If you’re interested in our UTM solution or our remote maintenance service, give ISC a call at 502.292.5097.
What Our Clients Say
ISC’s Security Risk Assessment helped our Practice meet our HIPPA Compliance and Meaningful Use requirements and the Advanced Security Assessment and Network Security solutions provide ongoing protection for our Network and Patient Data.
ISC’s IT Consulting, Sourcing and Managed Support Services provides a Total Solution for all our IT needs. They met with us to understand our business, budget and IT requirements. They implemented the solution and their Managed IT Services provide ongoing protection for our supply chain. This allows us to focus on growing our business and serving our customers’ needs. We have peace of mind that our IT is supported and our customer data is protected.
It wasn't until someone called to see if we had an IT service provider that I realized I have used the services of ISC for over 20 years and have relied on their expertise. In a previous job, ISC managed our SQL server and POS system for 30+ stores in 5 states plus our office network. In my present job, they have been there when we expanded from a 3-person office to over a dozen employees across 4 states. We are able to collaborate using Microsoft Office 365 and a virtual private network. The staff is experienced, knowledgeable and extremely helpful. I wouldn't trust anyone else.
As a mid-size manufacturer of custom woodwork our operations are large enough to be complex but too small to justify an internal IT staff. ISC has been an ideal fit for us. Capable, responsive, cost-efficient, and they share our customer-centric values. ISC allows us to focus on what we do best with the peace of mind knowing our IT infrastructure is in good hands.
I am pleased to strongly recommend the team at ISC Kentucky. For years we attempted to support our IT hardware and software installation/upgrade needs internally with limited success. The ISC team effectively assessed our current state, established and executed an improvement plan that covered immediate needs AND projected risks, and have consistently supported our ongoing needs…largely via remote access…in a timely and efficient manner. Partnering with ISC has been clearly one of the best decisions we’ve made for our business…so we can focus on the business.
I could not be more satisfied with ISC Kentucky. They were vital in advising, implementing, and supporting my family medicine practice network. Every time I have needed network support their service was prompt and courteous. I feel that I am a valued customer and they have my best interests in mind.
We have been using ISC Kentucky for almost 2 years. We were in the market looking for an IT company to take care of our needs as a skilled nursing home. One of our board members uses ISC and gave us James Naive as a contact for them. We have been more than satisfied with their work and their knowledge of what we needed and when we needed it. They came in and looked around our building assessed what we had and developed a plan for us to follow to get where we needed to be. I rest much more comfortably knowing that our IT solutions are in their hands. I would highly recommend ISC Kentucky to anyone looking to solve their IT problems. ISC have professional and knowledgeable staff that have handled any situation that we have had in the last 2 years.
As a company we brought in ISC to handle the equipment at our office and 16 locations. They have provided excellent customer service on all levels. They are quick to respond and to resolve any issues. Their office and service staff is efficient, knowledgeable and professional. ISC staff will be instrumental in our planning for the next year. They have been a real asset to our company. We appreciate the relationship and service they have provided.
I have always been completely satisfied with the IT service and support I have received from ISC Kentucky. I have not had to worry about our IT needs since 2008 when we decided to use your services Thanks for all that you do for Rueff and Associates!